Saturday, February 10, 2018

Mikes last couple of hospital visits

Mike scheduled to have some fluid taken from his abdomen on Jan 26th. He went in at his scheduled apt time and they told him they didn't have the Albumin he needed, its a protein they give him any time they pull more then 5 liters out of him. The hospital told Mike they could take 4 liters out of him on the 26th and then he would need to come back the next day when they would have the Albumin and they could take another couple of liters out of him and give him the Albumin.

This seemed so ridiculous to Mike. Issue 1: it is very painful to have a big needle and catheter stuck in you stomach so why would he want to do this 2 days in a row and 2nd this is a hospital how do they not have this medication.  Mike asked the nurse what she would do and she told him to go to the ER and just get drained and then come back on Saturday for the Albumin.

This is what Mike did.  He called me and told me the situation and told me he was going to be drained in the ER.  The Dr. there has drained Mike several times so he knows just what to do and Mike was drained within an hour of getting to the ER. They took just over 6 liters from his abdomen, magically the Albumin shows up in his room and they proceed to administer it to him.  We have decided it is just easier to go to the ER.

Mikes second visit was on Tuesday Jan 30th. he was having severe stomach pain,bathroom issues and a low grade fever.  We got there Tuesday evening, the ER did several tests and everything came back looking OK but they couldn't figure out what the issues he was having were from so they chose to admit him so they could run more tests and keep an eye on him. When someones liver isn't functioning there are some many things causing the issues they didn't want to miss anything.  Wednesday morning I went to tend my best friends kids and left Mike at the hospital.

 They wanted to test the fluid in his Abdomen so they took him down to Radiology so they could remove some fluid for testing, they pulled another 4 liters from his Abdomen before he was send back up to his room. 

That is 10 liters or 2.6 gallons of fluid from him in just about 5 days. Mike was released from the Hospital on Thursday Feb 1st, our sons 16th birthday. Mike didn't want to miss spending time with him on his birthday.  When the Dr. came in to talk to us and to discharge Mike he gave us some of Mikes test results, his platelet level was 36 the normal is 100; his Hemoglobin was 7.2 they give a patient blood at 7, meaning his blood levels are dangerously low. His white blood cells were off meaning he had an infection somewhere they just couldn't figure out where.

The Dr. then told us that Mike could come to the Hospital to be drained but if we thought he might need to be admitted we were now to go straight to the U of U ER. The hospital down here was just not equipped to handle Mikes issues. I was mad at the Dr. at first I figured he just didn't want to deal Mike anymore so he was making us go up to the U of U so he didn't have to deal with us. I have since had that wake up call Mike is going down hill and things are only getting worse.  I don't want to lose Him!!

We also went up to the U of U (me wearing my BYU hoodie) to finish up the tests Mike needed to do to complete all the testing required before he can be placed on the list. He did a Cat-scan, a chest X-ray and some pulmonary tests (breathing tests). The last thing standing in his way of being presents to the transplant board was his dental work.  Mike needed lots of dental work done, his mouth has to be free of infection and open wounds for the transplant to take place.  Feb 7th he had 4 teeth pulled and 3 cavities filled. After this and the antibiotics he's on now he will have all his dental work completed and can be presented to the transplant team.  We will find out soon if he qualifies for a Living Donor or if he has to wait for a Full liver possibly a Kidney as well. 

As I sit here writing this I am listening to him breath as he sleeps praying that he receives a liver soon,  I don't want to watch him waste away and continue to lose the man that I love. I know that It is in the Lords hands and whatever happens is his will but I sometimes have a hard time letting his will prevail over my wants. Its a hard thing to do. I have always done things myself, I can do it on my own, I don't need help! up until a few weeks ago this was what I had been saying but I realize I cant do it on my own any longer. I cant do it all myself,  physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  I have to ask for help!

I have learned to true meaning of Charity the last few months as people have reached out to help us.  our church family has been amazing, there is not a day that goes by that someone doesn't text us or call us, to make sure we are OK asking if there is anything they can do for us.  They clean my messy house, bring in meals, or just bring us cookies.  They are showing us they true meaning of Charity, the love and service that Christ has asked we provide for others and part of that is me being willing to let them serve us. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is such a beautiful thing and I am blessed to be apart of it.

I want to thank everyone that sees this for the part you have played in our lives or the part you may play in our journey. I am so humbled by your love and kindness.  THANK YOU! we Love you!

/www.gofundme.com/7cyk5k

No comments:

Post a Comment

The little things

          It is amazing what a $5 set of press-on nails can do for you. I bought myself and my daughter press on nails the day before thanks...